Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Common questions

I upload my best (to me) photos to my Flickr gallery. I get comments from other members and sometimes e-mails. They basically ask the same questions, I don't mind replying though. So while I'm at it, here are the top 10 questions from viewers of my gallery with my corresponding answers:

1. What's the camera that you use?
For those of you who have Flickr accounts, you probably know that under the photo tags there are more information about the photo. The camera model is there, and if you will click on "more properties" you wil find the EXIF data of the photo. Everything is there: settings, time, the color of my shirt when I took the pic, yeah everything. But I never whine whenever they ask me that question. My standard reply is: a Canon Powershot A710 IS.

2. Do you use a macro lens?
I don't because I don't have one. I don't even know if I can attach anything to my camera.

3. Do you use a tripod?
Nope, my husband has a tripod but I don't use anything that is not mine :-) lol! All of my photos are hand held shots because a tripod may just get in the way if I would stalk bugs. I am quite clumsy, I may trip on it or something.

4. It's crisp, how did you do that?
Natural lighting is the best. I don't take photos on an ugly weather.

5. Where do you find your subjects?
They are everywhere.We have a big backyard where I find different kinds of insects & spiders. I find true bugs on leaves. Bees are always close to the flowers. Spiders are sometimes under the leaves. Bigger beetles always crawl on soil, but ladybirds are on leaves where aphids are close by.

6. Why don't you get a DSLR?
Because I don't want to. It's too heavy and looks too darn complicated to use. It took me half-a-year before I got used to the buttons of my compact camera, so it would probably take me years to learn how to use a DSLR.

7. Why bugs?
I hate to answer a question with a question, but my initial response is: why not? Taking photos of insects is very challenging. Like I've said many times before, anyone can take photos of buildings and landscapes, but not everyone will be patient enough to chase tiny winged creatures. It's the thrill of the chase.. literally.

8. Did you take those photos yourself?
This is the most annoying question ever. I got rashes from stinging nettles just to take photos of ladybugs. ..I was chased by an army of mosquitoes on the way to the forest to look for butterflies I also got bitten by ants while taking photos of hover flies.. and I will be accused of uploading photos that I didn't take?! I don't understand how people can be so cruel. I answer them with a polite 'yes' even if they got me so irritated.

9. What camera can you recommend?
I don't know. I really don't. But if it's a compact point & shoot don't get a camera because it's cute slim and very light. It's super lightness is a disadvantage because you may not be able hold it steadily while taking a photo. You will get out-of-focus images as a result.

10. What's your messenger ID?
I never reply to that question :-)

No comments: