Friday, August 7, 2009

Summer's best

Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our possibilities become limitless.
~Jamie Paolinetti

Face the truth
Face the truth
Camera: Canon PowerShot A710 IS
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
Modifications: Cropping, contrast and color levels
Date taken: August 2, 2009 at 4.06pm EEST

My summer vacation is almost over. Before school work and other projects get in the way, I reckon that I should first show everyone my favourite summer photos. Just some pieces of evidence to prove that little cameras can really produce nice images.

The number of photos I've taken from June 'til the first week of August is about 30% lesser than the previous summers'. That doesn't mean that I've lost my interest in photography. I used to take at least 8 shots of the same subject. Nowadays, 2 to 4 shots are usually enough. My goal is to get sharp head-on shots as much as possible. I incline to believe that my abilities can go beyond images like this one:
green bug
Though the backs of beetles and bugs have cool patterns, I still think that eyes and faces are their best features. Hence, I did my very best this season to capture the cute faces of insects, and guess what? My camera didn't fail me. Behold my best insect photos to date:
My creation

1. bee ready
2. Snack time
3. scavenging
4. Happy Pretty Pink Poppy Tuesday!


I always get comments like:
How did you do that when you're only using a point-and-shoot camera? Perhaps it's because no matter how inferior my camera may seem to some people, when I go out to take photos, I really mean business. Yeah, my camera have limited features, but I just couldn't be bothered to pay attention on what it cannot do. If I'm not happy with the shots, I don't blame it on the so-called limits of my point-and-shoot. I don't whine, I just tell myself that I'd get it right next time.

Hobbyists often say: 'it's the arrow, not the Indian', whenever talks about cameras and gear come about. I think the same thing applies to photos of poor quality, it's quite pointless to pin the blame on the arrow :-).

3 comments:

petertoshiro said...

Nice and inspiring thoughts Sue...great pictures too...now I pronounce you--"The Point-And-Shoot Lady".

Lantaw said...

this is a great photo blog on nature.

keep posting sue :)

Sue said...

Thanks, guys!