Friday, December 16, 2011

Pause

just moping around

“Idleness is sweet, and its consequences are cruel”
~John Quincy Adams


Camera: Canon PowerShot A710 IS
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
Exposure Bias: -1 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire
ISO Speed: 75


When my camera was new I took hundreds of photos a week, nowadays I barely use it. I do have an acceptable excuse: the dark Finnish winter, but I still remember that 4 years ago, that didn't stop me from experimenting with macro shots. I bought flowers and took pictures of them from different angles:

My creation


1. Beautiful & calm, 2. Center of attraction, 3. mum, 4. Better late than never..


During the spring and summer months, I was always outside looking for anything worth taking photos of. By the end of the summer, the amount of photos kept me busy for months. This year, however, was quite different. The last time I used my camera was almost 7 weeks ago when I was in London. I think that somewhere along the line, I lost my enthusiasm. Maybe it's because my camera has seen better days and I am hating myself for being too stubborn to upgrade.

In my attempt to regain enthusiasm, I visit my web gallery every now and then. Sometimes I couldn't believe that I was the same person who took those photos, no kidding! My lucky shots and the comments of photostream visitors inspire me somehow.I know some people who got bored with photography, treated it like something that they had to try once, and then forget about it. Pardon me for making it sound like a one-night stand :-) I don't want to fall in the same category, I prefer a longer, and more fruitful relationship with photography. So while I am on hibernation mode, I will think of moving on to next level. My next steps would be getting a new camera, attending workshops, entering photo contests.. anything that will prepare me for a long-term commitment with photography.

For now, kindly pardon my idleness. I assure you that this just a temporary phase. I'm giving myself some room to grow, hoping that next spring I will fall in love with photography all over again.

2 comments:

Gita Asuncion said...

i know exactly what you mean, sue! and yes, i know you wil be back. take your time. we wil all be waiting eagerly. ;)

Sue said...

Thanks Dra. Gita! Happy holidays!